I can’t imagine life without my beautiful wife. We’ve been married for close to 8 years now, and looking back I am left bewildered at how quickly life went by in that time. I guess going thru nursing school, having three children, and relocating my family to North Carolina will do that.
Recently I stopped and thought how I’m glad I got married so quickly as I did (in under a year!)
But so many today don’t know what they are missing and they play in these lengthy relationships that miss out on key benefits of marriage.
Here is a list of the immense value marriage can add to your life:
- Can help you become more Christ-like (#1 reason per God: to make you holy, more than just happy.)
- Makes you eat healthier (fruit-loops are no longer a viable option for dinner).
- Will help you earn more money.
- Take advantage of more tax breaks.
- Experience more satisfying sex.
- Improved self-esteem.
- Makes you live longer.
- Experience less depression and fewer problems with alcohol.
- Can make you a more generous person, where you give with no thought of return.
- Benefits that come from having children.
- Brings stability for children.
- The love will make you feel completely alive.
- Makes you feel more understood.
- Creates an environment where you can grow.
- Provides you security that doesn’t come from just living together.
- Will teach you what love is really all about.
- Will help you know what real respect is all about.
- It’s the single best investment that will last a life-time.
- Makes you happier (although some would argue a happy marriage makes you happier.)
- To bring out the best in you.
- When done right it’s the cure for loneliness, even emotional loneliness.
- Because your own wedding will be the best party you’ll ever attend.
I remember being single and wanting to get married so bad. It felt like forever waiting for the right one to come. Well, when I left it in God’s hands, He brought the right one and looking back I didn’t have to wait long at all. Now I look at my wife and it feels like I always new her. I can’t imagine life without her.
While marriage will not be a cure all for that lonely, single, frustrating state your in. It will add tremendous value to your life in a way just co-habitating together will not.
And if you reading this and already married, but your marriage isn’t going so well, just run through this list and start clicking the links to learn ways to improve it. And my suggestion: You are only responsible for you. You make the first move. Don’t wait for the right time, or whatever. Act now and just do what you know is right.
Question: I’d love to hear other reasons why one should get married. This list is definitely not comprehensive. Please add your comments below.